Sunday, February 14, 2010

Birthday vanilla-raisin stritzel

Once again it's time to get all the family together and celebrate me getting one year closer to my death. Or, I guess, celebrate my birthday. Ignore the cynicism, I'm actually quite happy they're coming. I get to spend time with my family and bake interesting things.

I usually make a cake, but this time I decided to take the easy way out and make this ...stritzel...twist...pastry...thing?

Vanilla-raisin stritzel
Modified. Makes one long pastry.


Dough:
12g yeast or 1/2 pack of dry yeast
1.5 dl milk
1/4 egg
0.5dl sugar
0.5tl salt
3.5-4 dl flour
50g butter, melted

Filling:
200g curd paste
150g butter, melted
0.5dl sugar
2 small packs of vanilla custard mix (dodgy, I know)
1.5 tbsp vanilla sugar
a couple handfuls of raisins

a little egg for glazing
caster sugar for dusting

First, prepare the dough.  Break the egg into a glass and whisk slightly with a fork. Dissolve the yeast in warm(not hot!) milk, or if using dry yeast, mix it with the flour first. Add 1/4 of the egg mix, butter, sugar and salt, then mix in the flour. Knead well. Leave it to rise for about 30 minutes.

For the filling, mix the curd, butter, sugars, custard mix and raisins. There's no egg here, but don't worry, the starch in the custard mix will thicken it.

Roll the dough into a rectangle, add the filling and braid as shown here. Carefully transfer to a baking tray, or make it easier for yourself and roll the dough out on a tray to begin with. Let the whole thing rise for 15 more minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to about 180C(-190C). Brush the stritzel with some leftover egg mix to make it shiny and stick it in the oven for about 30 minutes.

When it's golden brown it's done! Let it cool a little, then dust with caster sugar. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment