Friday, September 24, 2010

It's been ages! Variations on cookies.

So, I'm back. The summer was just too hot and busy and amazing for me to actually cook something I'd like to write about. Or cook anything at all.
Now, the winter is creeping closer and the nights are colder and it's time to spend more time behind the stove, where it's warm.
Since I've gone lazy over the summer, cookies seemed like the easiest choice. I've made them a couple of times now and they've turned out really well.

Basic cookie dough:

150g butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla sugar (heaped)
280g flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
150g sugar
1/4 tsp salt

"Optional" additions - add one or two of these to the basic cookie mix to make it more interesting.

* 2 tbsp cocoa powder
* 100g nuts (I prefer hazelnuts, but whatever floats your boat)
* 100g raisins or other dried fruit
*~1tsp? cinnamon (I'm not a big fan of cinnamon so you're going to have to figure out the exact dosage)
* chocolate chunks, why not try mixing bits of white and dark chocolate?
* lemon zest or lemon juice
* a pinch or two of nutmeg (don't overdo it!)
* seeds, generously (I'm sure sesame seeds would do wonders even though I've never tried)
* crunched caramel candy (crunched mint flavoured candies and cocoa powder for fans of that particular combination!)
*...

Whisk together butter, egg and vanilla sugar, then add all the other ingredients. Mix well, using hands if necessary. Bake in a preheated oven at 175C, making sure they don't burn. Let cool (the ones with chocolate bits may need to cool for quite a while for the chocolate to harden), and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment