Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Matzo ball soup

Every now and then I've seen this soup on food blogs and wondered what it's like. Since I didn't know where to get some matzo meal, I couldn't make it until now.
When I went to the Passover celebration, they were selling matzo boxes and for the first time (for me anyway), packs of matzo meal. I had to get my hands on that!

The pack of crushed matzo sat in my cupboard for almost a month, until I finally decided to give it a go. The recipe itself is fairly simple, and requires few ingredients.

Matzo balls
1 egg
30ml water
20ml oil
1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper
60ml matzo meal

Whisk the egg with oil and water, add salt and pepper and mix in the matzo meal. Cover with plastic wrap and let it stand in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.

Matzo ball soup
750ml stock (vegetable or chicken or whatever strikes your fancy)
2 medium carrots, sliced
some sweet potato (I have no idea how much I used, perhaps 60g?), cut into sticks
Fresh dill, if you wish

Bring the stock to boil. With wet hands, roll little balls (2-3cm diameter) out of the matzo ball dough and drop them into the boiling stock. Boil for about 8 minutes, then add the carrots. After 4 more minutes, add the sweet potatoes and let everything boil for another 8-10 minutes. Garnish with dill. Enjoy.
Serves two.


To me, it tasted similar to meatball soup, something I haven't eaten since I became a vegetarian and what used to be one of my favourites. Definitely a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment