Monday, April 19, 2010

Sweet potato soup

I've had this kind of soup once before, in France. All I remember about it is that it tasted absolutely amazing, so I've been waiting for the chance to make it myself.

Yesterday, while in a shop, I stumbled upon a crate of these magical vegetables and bought one of them. In Estonia, sweet potatoes are worth their weight in gold. Figuratively. They're actually a little cheaper than that. I almost felt like I should dress up for the cooking.


At first, my mind was blown - every time I'm dealing with a new kind of vegetable, I look it up on Wikipedia. I like to learn about the cultural background and different ways of preparation. This time, it was different. I thought they were from the same genus as normal potatoes, but they're not. Silly botanist. They're from the genus Convolvulaceae, which means they're closer to bindweed. How strange, I never would have guessed something edible came from that genus. I even forgot to look up the culture bit.

The recipe I found was with cauliflower, but since I didn't have any, I made it with carrots instead. Feel free to try it out the original way.

Sweet potato soup
3 tbsp oil
1 small onion chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 level tsp turmeric powder
2 medium carrots, cut into rough chunks
1/2 sweet potato (350g), cut into rought chunks. Yes, they're humongous.
1l veggie stock, or chicken stock if you wish
50ml milk, or coconut milk
pepper, cayenne pepper


In a large pot, heat the oil and fry the onions and garlic until soft, then mix in the turmeric. Add chopped carrots and potatoes and cook until they're a bit softer too. Pour the stock on top of the vegetables and cook until they're soft. Puree with a blender, then bring it to boil again and stir in the milk. Adjust seasonings and enjoy.
Makes 4 servings.

Personally, I think it came out really nice, but I think it will be better with cauliflower. I still have half a potato left, so I'll try that next. Coming soon on this blog... or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment