Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Red lentil dal

Today, I failed my driving theory exam by 1 point. Grue. It's also snowing again, so much for my hopes of the snow melting so I can ride my bike again. Ah well, perhaps it'll get warmer in April.

I've had a thing for Indian food for quite a while now. Today I made one of my favourites - dal. It's really very simple and a true comfort food, especially for days like this.

Red lentil dal:

2 tsp oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup red lentils (~120 ml)
1 cup water plus more if needed (~240 ml)
1 cup tomatoes (~240ml)
0.5 tsp salt
0.5 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp mild paprika
0.5 tsp hot paprika
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chili flakes

Fry the onion and garlic in a saucepan until the onion bits become transparent. Add lentils, tomato sauce, water and all the spices except the chili flakes and cook stirring every now and then until the lentils are done, about 20 minutes. Add more water if it looks too thick. Mix in the chili flakes and cook for two more minutes. Adjust flavourings, making sure it has plenty of salt and is hot enough for you. Serve over rice.
Makes three to four servings for a small person.

No comments:

Post a Comment